Sunday, June 14, 2015

Meditation before Holy Mass with Beta/Gamma Waves


A serious morning meditation is always a good way to prepare one' s mind for the great Holy Mass. These meditations can include the Rosary, contemplative prayer, or any tradition that best suits one's personal practice. The benefits include far less distraction and greater interior participation in the mystery.

The soul aspires after heaven, rejoicing in the meantime in being in the communion of God's Church upon earth. - 1962 Roman Missal

Today's meditation was a strong session. Lately, I have used my Muse a few times per week just to gauge what is happening inside my brain during meditation. An unexpected benefit of the Muse is that is improves my focus in meditation just because I know it's there. In other words, I know my mind is being monitored, and any distraction is instantly detected. Imagine if one could wear one of these tools at Mass (which I would never recommend), or even during a zazen practice, where the teacher could see inside of you to detect a lazy mind!

I post today's figures only because I note a different brain wave pattern than usual. Towards the end of my meditation, when I was in a state of  quite powerful focus and interior energy, together with a near empty mind, the EEG shows a spike in Beta/Gamma waves. I understand how difficult it is to draw any firm conclusions from these results; however, it is a pattern worth noting.



 








No comments:

Post a Comment